Career Outlook for Electricians
Entry-level education: High school diploma
Median pay (2016): $521,720 annually
Job outlook, 2014-2024: Growing much faster than average (14 percent projected growth)
On-the-job training: Apprenticeship
Working environment: Electricians generally work both indoors and outdoors in a variety of conditions, traveling between homes, businesses, factories, and construction sites to install, maintain and repair power and communications systems.
Almost every building has an electrical power, communications, lighting and control system that is installed during construction and maintained after that. These systems power lights, appliances and equipment that make people’s lives and jobs easier and more comfortable. Electricians install, maintain and repair electrical power, communications, lighting and control systems in homes, businesses and factories.
Electricians handle various job duties:
• Read blueprints or technical diagrams.
• Install and maintain wiring, control and lighting systems.
• Inspect electrical components, such as transformers and circuit breakers.
• Identify electrical problems using a variety of testing devices.
• Repair or replace wiring, equipment or fixtures using hand tools and power tools.
• Follow state and local building regulations based on the National Electrical Code.
• Direct and train workers to install, maintain or repair electrical wiring or equipment.
Apply for scholarships through the IAF app!
IAF app delivers tools & resources perfect for students of all ages, high school counselors, career college and university college admins. Matching your school with scholarships opportunities, applying and checking application status has never been easier.
- - ADVERTISEMENT - -
- Alumni Series (13)
- Automotive (46)
- Aviation (7)
- Business (13)
- Business & Arts (17)
- Career College Expositions (2)
- Career Development (67)
- College Resource (76)
- Continuing Education (115)
- Cosmetology (2)
- Counselor Resources (95)
- Criminal Justice (3)
- Dental Assistant (1)
- Education (62)
- Financial Literacy (11)
- Health Sciences (34)
- Heritage Series (3)
- Housing Series (10)
- HVAC (8)
- Imagine America Scholarships (9)
- Information Technology (12)
- Massage Therapy (5)
- Mechanical Sciences (82)
- Medical Assistant (7)
- Millennial Student Series (4)
- News (10)
- Nursing (16)
- Online education (9)
- Personal Finance (12)
- Podcast (44)
- Research (11)
- Road Map Series (2)
- Scholarships (11)
- Social Media Series (4)
- Student Success (25)
- Study Tips (3)
- Time Managment (1)
- Top 10 (9)
- Uncategorized (1)
- Universal Technical Institute (8)
- Veteran Affairs (8)
- Welding (17)
- - ADVERTISEMENT - -